New Start: A core group of 15 members from Atonement in Plano, Tex., are starting a new church in North Collin County, a northern suburb of Dallas. Two of the top five fastest growing communities in the United States are in this target area. Divine Savior Ministries has committed to providing guidance and resources to the new mission and are planning build a Divine Savior Academy by year five of the mission start.
- Caleb King was assigned from Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon, Wis., in May 2023 to serve this new mission start. He was commissioned at Taste of Missions on June 10, and installed on July 23, 2023, at Atonement Lutheran Church in Plano, Tex. Watch his commissioning and the Q&A panel with new missionaries from Taste of Missions at tasteofmissions.com/videos.
- There isn’t a single Lutheran congregation of any denomination in the proposed mission area.
- The town of Prosper and the city of Celina are currently being targeted as potential church plant locations. The core group will work with their district mission board and Divine Savior Ministries to determine the optimal location for a church and school now that they’ve been approved.
- The core group has been meeting every other week since 2021 for planning meetings and Bible studies. They’ve also participated in community outreach opportunities, including volunteering at a food pantry, cleaning up litter as part of the Adopt-A-Street program, and attending community events while representing Divine Savior Church.
- Family ministry and Christian education will be this mission’s focus.
- The goal is that once the Academy is built by year five of the mission, the church will worship in the school building and no church funds will be needed for land or building costs.
Rev. Caleb King, Home Missionary